Saturday 19 March 2016

If you don't listen to what I say, you'll hear what I do

If you don't listen to what I say, you'll hear what I do


Sound limiters




After years of telling people I won't plug into sound limiters, welcome to the McGregor £15 100 watt amp. It sounds like a bag of farts but if you don't care about my equipment, I don't care about what you have to listen to. 

I have no problem playing quietly, in fact I'm happier performing at lower volume. I've even had shows where I can't hear what I'm playing over people talking, but if I get paid I'm fine with it. 

What I object to is the arbitrary cutting of power to my equipment which in the past has damaged it and left me a huge bill to cover. The last time this happened was about ten years ago, not because I was playing at any sort of volume (this was the aforementioned can't hear myself over the talking scenario) but every time someone shouted or laughed the power cut off. 

Cutting the power to an amp means the fan stops working, this stops keeping the power sink cool and can cause damage, which is what happened to me.

So please, keep the sound / noise indicators, ask the band to keep below it or even better give them a contract that means they won't get paid if thier music exceeds the levels, rather than destroying thier equipment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment